At NC Kayaks, we are passionate about our kayaks and look forward to sharing that passion with you. Whether you are interested in paddling the inside passage or you want a kayak in your school colors for day trips, we have the expertise and craftsmanship to create the kayak to support your adventures.
Ordering Your Kayak
- Place a Deposit. We consider the deposit as your order, and even if you don’t know exactly what you want, your deposit assures your place in our production schedule.
- Design Consultation. Tell us what you want, what you really, really, want. We have decades of experience building kayaks, we will listen and work with you to achieve the result you are looking for. Tell us how you want the kayak to look. We have a wide range of colors and finishes available: solid colors, metallic finishes, multiple color fades, metallic fades, webbing, and custom decals, to name a few. Because we pigment our gel coat ourselves, we have a very large color palette to work with, so whether you’re looking for your school colors, your favorite color, or for something to stand out against the water, we can help. The gallery below has a sampling of some of our custom projects. We can also change aspects of the kayak’s construction to suit your needs. For example, we recently built a kayak with several modifications to accommodate a solo trip down the inside passage, so let us know if you have any specific needs. Design Consultations can be over the phone, in person, or by correspondence – whatever works best for you.
- Price Quote. We create a quote based on your custom design. Prices for finished kayaks start at $3,195 and vary based on many factors. Your quote may take up to a few days for us to develop if we need to consult with suppliers to source custom materials for your build. At this point in the process, we will also provide a shipping estimate. If you would prefer to come to us, complimentary in-store pick-up is always available.
- Confirmation. A few days before we begin production on your kayak, we will send you a spec sheet detailing exactly how you have designed your kayak, to ensure everything is built precisely as you want it. Once you have confirmed everything is correct, we start building your kayak. At this point, your deposit is non-refundable.
- Production. Yay!! We are building your kayak! It typically takes 7-10 business days to complete construction on a kayak. If you want to come to the shop to see your kayak being built, you are welcome to watch as we laminate your kayak components, or observe as we bond the deck to the hull, making it a kayak for the first time – it’s an experience you’ll remember.
- Delivery. If you are picking your kayak up at the shop, we will help you get it loaded and strapped down. If your kayak is being shipped, we will get it boxed and shipped to you as soon as possible. Final payment is due prior to pick-up or shipment.